This turkey patty melt recipe is a delicious and easy weeknight meal, featuring ground turkey and just 5 other common ingredients.
CLICK HERE to pin turkey patty melt for later.
You guys are loving ground turkey recipes, and I can’t say that I blame you! As a protein source, it’s nutritious, so versatile, AND it cooks up quickly. It’s one of the reasons that I create a lot of recipes made with ground meat. It’s just TOO easy for weekday recipes.
I know you’ll want to make these turkey patty melts right away. All you need is six regular and affordable ingredients and just 40 minutes. If you want dinner on the table even faster, you can caramelize the onions ahead of time.
Healthy Turkey Patty Melt Recipe:
What is a Patty Melt?
A patty melt is a burger topped with caramelized onions and swiss cheese, usually on marbled rye or sourdough bread. It’s a delicious combination of flavors! Our turkey melt is that same sandwich, but instead of using ground beef for our burger, we’re using ground turkey.
What is the best kind of ground turkey to use in a turkey patty melt?
I feel REALLY strongly about this answer. Please don’t use ground turkey breast. EVER. (Unless it’s for deli meat.) You want your meat to have a little fat to it so that it’s not dry and tough. Look for ground turkey that is 93% lean, 7% fat.
What should I serve with a turkey patty melt?
Because I classify this meal as an easy weeknight dinner, we’re keeping the sides easy, too. Everyone always loves sweet potato fries and all they need to do is be put out on a baking sheet. (You can totally make your own too, if you have the time.) If you want to include some more veggies, I would recommend a simple green salad or some raw veggies (carrots, cucumber, pepper strips) and ranch or healthy greek yogurt veggie dip.
Cooking with Kids:
I love to involve my kids with meals whenever I can. No matter how small the task, the benefits are huge! These tasks might vary based on age, but if you’ve got kids, have them help. They can:
- Help stir the onions. (This involves the stove, so they need to be old enough and be supervised.)
- Top turkey burgers with slice of cheese. (Supervised because of the heat.)
- Toast and butter bread.
- Assemble the burgers on plates.
- Add ketchup and mustard to their plate.
More Ground Turkey Recipes:
Don’t forget to leave a star rating and review below, I love to hear what you think of the recipes!
Turkey patty melts are a delicious and easy weeknight meal, featuring ground turkey.
- 15 oz. bag frozen sweet potato fries
- 1 white onion
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 16 oz. ground turkey (NOT turkey breast)
- 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
- 4 oz. swiss cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- pickle spears
- ketchup and mustard
- Bake sweet potato fries according to package instructions.
- Prepare caramelized onions: thinly slice onions in half moon shapes. Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small pan over medium heat. When butter sizzles, add onions to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or longer. If they start burning or turning black, turn down the heat.
- Meanwhile, prep burgers: divide meat into 4 patties. Lightly form into patty shape, making an indent with fingers in the middle of the burger. Salt and pepper both sides with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, more if needed. *Note, this is the amount for all 4 burgers!
- Cook burgers: heat remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in grill pan over medium heat. When it sizzles, add burgers and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side. (Or until an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.) When burgers are done cooking, top with slice of swiss cheese.
- Assemble burgers: toast bread and lightly butter. Top with burger and onions. Serve with sweet potato fries and pickle spears.
- Ground turkey: Use 93% lean, NOT ground turkey breast which is 99% lean.
- Get your kids involved! They can: butter toast, assemble burgers.
Keywords: ground turkey, turkey patty melt